Tuesday, November 4, 2008

WHEW! Glad THAT'S over!

... like friggin' pulling teeth!



I am sooo glad that it is over! This freaking thing, this election has been hangin' around like a SBD in a group of people at the water cooler!



So, what do you do to pick yourself up?



I could sneak out to Astoria, but that was yesterday's trip ... and man, did I have a trip! Besides, I am not an emotional eater, though you couldn't tell by what I consume. There is always reading, and I plan to keep hacking away at the short stories in 'Nightmares and Dreamscapes'. Then there is listening to music.



There is no way I can't feel better after hearing the song, 'Party Out of Bounds', by the B52's. I know that I have said it before, and I will always say it, the B52's are the most fun band for my money. I wasn't invited to any parties but one in high school (which is happened in the spring of my junior year, and I did meet my first girlfriend there!), but I always imagined being part of the 'crashers' coming to Precious' party, running amok.

This is for me, a real feel good song, and it comes in my head when I least expected, like it did today! Waiting in the long lines, sleep walking through this day ... needed a pick me up!

Another way cool song that makes me feel good, is 'Buddy Holly' by Weezer! My Delta Girl bought me that as a gift, because she knew how much I liked the song. That was sooo sweet! She had had enough of my horrible warbling, that she 'was my Mary Tyler Moore!' Cool beans!

I do pick myself up, because if I don't, who will?

What songs pick you straight up? I have another that I heard today, a rap song by Redman, "Watch Yo' Nuggets". Picked that up when I was in school. It caught my attention because I didn't have a running car at the time, and I was gettin' along like I am gettin' along now. The line went as follows:

I don't have a car
But I have a pair of Reeboks
They get me where I'm goin'
Until my damn feet stops!

The rest of the song is cool, but you have to 'perspectivize it'. Have to be a young, semi-disaffected young brother, trying to get on the grid some kind of way, I think. It stayed in my head and it comes out as I struggle through. 'Until my damn feet stops' ... BET THAT!

AREN'T YOU TIRED OF BEING PERFECT?

Which is why I couldn't be so dreary and down, and why 'How Soon Is ...' was the wrong song for me. I wonder what made me 'hear' that song? The timing of it, I guess. Strange in a way, because 'This Charming Man' is the one I liked first, as I think I have said before (and if I haven't, I am saying it now!), and it is decidedly 'upbeat' in my ears, even though as I have grown, I can 'hear it' differently.

Only it says what it says to me. I keep thinking of a confused lad, being encouraged by a friend to go on, take a shot at meeting someone ...

... which is why at Mary Jo's suggestion, I went to the Edison Branch Library and took my shot. Won't call it a crash and burn, just a dogfight where the combatants both maneuvered their way safely home.

But I took my shot! What could it have hurt?

3 comments:

betty said...

glad you got voting out of the way, Mark! hope the lines weren't too long; we got to early vote the weekend before last so we took advantage of that

I'm sort of brain numb with different things going on here so I can't think of a song that you would know that it is a pickup song for me; running through my head right now is a praise song; always a good thing :)

take care

betty

Beth said...

What songs pick me up? Good question. Sometimes it depends on my mood. But like you, the B-52's almost always do it for me. The Brian Setzer Orchestra's upbeat songs like "In the Mood" and "Pennsylvania 6-5000." Songs that are happy, and have a great beat that make you shake it, because I don't know how you can be in a bad mood if you're dancing!

Hon, the election ain't over yet. OUR part of it is, but it could be a long evening as we watch the results roll in. I'm nervous.

Love, Beth

Monica said...

I know I always perk up when I hear the B 52's ... and just about any song from Grease.

I finally got the voting out of the way - the polling precent was a MESS. We waited over TWO hours to vote. I can't beleive I was patient enough to wait ... that is so unlike me.

Loved the video!

Monica