Sunday, November 23, 2008

Storyboard

Can you ever really be free of the insecurites of high school? When does life stop being an example of that social petri dish? I was still the 'new guy' and Dalton was well established as the gym's BMOC, primarily because he was the most accomplished athelete and he was the biggest guy in the gym. As to being 'the best fighter', I think because of his personality and general cockiness, he was able to stake a claim to being that. The fighters who were part of the gym, the ones at the nationals when the 'lightbulb' went on in my head, had graduated on to pro careers out of state.

This isn't to say that the cupboard was bare, but the guys were younger and less sure of their own skills. This was like a senior being in a class with freshmen and sophomores, and they naturally deferred and 'thought' Dalton was a better fighter. He was simply naturally stronger, not that he had any boxing techinique that made him a better fighter.

The sporadic training sessions between us went without much incident, with me keeping my guard high and following the script. I stuck out the jab, moved my feet and let my speed carry me around the ring. Occasionally, he would cuff me and knock me off balance and try to rush, as he imagined he had me stunned and was pressing the advantage. It drew an 'ooh' from those on the outside, because it was obvious he was bigger and stronger than me, so it followed that he had actually 'hurt' me. I knew better. He didn't.

"I will take easy on you, since you are probably tired." Beth was pulling on his gloves for him.

"No, I think you had better 'go for what you know'. I have to get ready for a fight." That drew a murmur from the peanut gallery. I was already in the ring, Ken stood on the ring apron and motioned me closer to him. The thirty second warning buzzer went off, meaning that it would be another minute and a half before the bell for our first round would go off. As I scanned the gym, I thought about how I came to know Ken and Beth.

It was a year where I had snuck through the Detroit franchise, and got to compete in Kansas City. I was going really good that year, and was lighting guys up. I fought a guy from their gym, and though he was a strong fighter, he was WAY in over his head.

When we were back in the locker room, I saw he was really disappointed in his performance, and I sat down and talked with him. I explained how even the best fighters have to take their lumps on the way up, and hey, I had taken my share as well. Told him that one of the main reasons I was there, was because the kid who normally keeps me home, moved up a weight class. Otherwise, he probably would have beaten me up again.

He felt better as we changed up, and we were talking and laughing as we came out of the locker room. Ken and Beth were there, waiting for their guy to come out. They invited me to sit with them to watch the rest of the card, and I really liked the dynamic between them and the other fighters that were at the show from their gym.

Picked Beth's brain a little, and could see she wasn't a novelty act. She really knew her boxing.

So that was in my mind when a few years later, I would come back and ran into Sandie at the hotel. It was like the 'hook' set into me, as the 'bait' was my envy of the camaraderie that still seemed to be there, watching the husband and wife team handle their fighters. I wanted to be a part of something like that, and while I didn't think I would be able to cheer for Jayhawk basketball, I did think that there was more of a life out here for me.

Ken was making tight my head gear. Another bell had rung, and this was the minute break between rounds. Next bell was 'live fire', and he started with his instructions for the round.

"Look Mark, I know that you won't say it, but you are winded (you NEVER use the word "tired" in boxing ... NEVER!!), so I don't want you to try to move around too much, but stand in front of him at an angle." He dipped his left shoulder into the center of my chest to demonstrate. "When you are in close like this, grab him and 'turn' him and hit him off the turn." Ken put his right hand under my left elbow and gave me a little push. "Pop him with a three piece and step forward, make him move his feet. He won't be able to punch to effect if he has to reset. When he does that, pop-pop-pop!" Ken flashed a left-right-left. "And come back to your right. Do that and he will have to go where you want him to."

I nodded my head and smiled with my mouthpiece, I knew what he was looking for. No matter what Beth was telling Dalton to do, he was going to fall right into his same old bad habits. I guess Ken wanted him to get his too.

The bell rang, and we touched gloves and the round began.

4 comments:

Ken Riches said...

Damn Straight, never did like those cocky guys :o)

Love the H&W theme for Ken and Beth, rings a certain bell...

Beth said...

This is getting good. A good lesson, too...the smart person will take advantage of the other's cockiness!

I think "social petri dish" is one of the best metaphors I've ever heard for high school!

Beth

Heather said...

CAN YOU ever be free of the insecurities of high school? I don't think so... it's weird... I've reconnected with a ton of folks from HS on facebook and it's amazing how many of them are EXACTLY where you would have predicted... most likely to ... whatever.

enjoyed the story...
*hugs*
heather

betty said...

is a boxer never tired but winded because tired is a defeating term that is hard to move from?

I never know why people say high school was the best 4 years of their lives; I think a lot of us walk away a bit scarred from those 4 years

betty