The ride back was fast, with the conversation revolving around the tournament and our performances. I felt I did fairly well, making it to the semi finals and all. The guy I fought, who would go on to win the title, was a local lad. Do I think that he got a 'hometown decision'? That kind of stuff is to be expected in the fight game, which is why knocking someone out usually takes the judges out of the equation, especially when he is fighting virtually in his hometown.
Somewhere between Benton Harbor and Jackson, the lights of the west bound traffic slowed in the darkness. I started to drift off to sleep, but my mind was still spinning. As I dreamed, I could see myself in ... KANSAS CITY.
Fully awoke as we passed I-275, I knew what I was going to do. The dream I had was about my future and certain girl working the danish bar at the Holiday Inn near the Expo Center in Kansas City. Sketching it out in my mind, figuring out how much it would take for me to get there, find a job and a place to live ... all of those things would fall into place once I got there. Being back at Mom's house would give me the chance to save at least half of what I could earn, and should be a good enough stake to start out.
The next thing would be to establish a time-table, and create a 'window' to leave town. Finally, there is K.I.T with Sandie ... ah, the lady fair. What is she going to make of you when you show up again, this time to fall to bended knee and swear your devotion and love to ... uh, you need to get home, unpack and really get some rest.
_____________________
We'd end up doing the chat and messaging thing. Never to excess, and hoped enough to keep me in her 'once in a quarter thoughts'. I didn't know what to expect, really. I do know what I hoped for. Got my transcripts and financial aid filled out, and sent off. Getting accepted to UM-KC wasn't the problem because I graduated from one of the two application/examination high schools in the DPS. I had the grades. What I may not have had, was good sense. The next summer, I was on my way west.
If there was a book written, 'She's Just Not That Into You', me and Sandie could have been a feature couple. Everything was polite, and she would laugh, but made sure that I knew there was a line as far as her feelings for me went...
But I was here now, at my bus stop, six blocks away from the gym. Walking briskly in the chill of an overcast fall afternoon, pulled open the door of the gym and I went in.
Saturday, November 15, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
I guess that is the risk of moving based on a nice smile and nice conversation. To bad you could not arrive and sweep her off her feet.
What is "K.I.T.?"
Doesn't KIT mean keep in touch?
*hugs*
I'm reading Mark; just don't have anything to comment on (yet)
betty
Post a Comment