Saturday, November 8, 2008

IN THE LAND OF OZ

GETTING THE CALL



The day had started out like any other day. Woke up and went for my run near the school and took a shower at the Student Activity Center. Today was a light day for classes, which meant I could train with the pro's down at 4th Street Gym. Might get some good sparring in, where I can let go with my punches and not hold back (as much), like I do with the 'Simon-pure's'.



Cool down stretches, then into the SAG for some hygiene and a little breakie from 'Sweet 'n Treat'. While I was in the shower, Larry, the head trainer from the gym had called my cell phone. What would have made him get up this early on a Wednesday morning? 8:30 a.m. was actually 'late' for me but for him, it may as well have been the crack of dawn. Checked the message; it was about a prospective fight, and it must have been a decent one. I could hear the excitement in his voice. Still, I wanted to get something in my belly and pick up the USA Today and see how the Pistons and Wings were doing ...



The light mist had burned off and the manager at the 'Sweet and Treat' kept making with her 'Bette Davis eyes'. This had been going on since I officially landed in the summer. We never really actually 'talked', but the brief exchanges of small talk during our transactions over danish, coffee and sausage biscuits, had my interest piqued. Hers probably was as well, I'd like to think.



The USA Today was an easy read, with all it's pretty colors and 'Entertainment Tonight' kind of stories. Pistons and Wings were doing what they do, and the Lions ... well, lets just say I am following the Chiefs a little bit more now. I do have my #20 jersey, in case they turn the corner, but c'mon, they've been doing what they do for over 40 years!



Around 10, I hit Larry up. He was wide awake, and a little bit excited too.



"What's this fight's about? You know me, who, when and where. The money just have to be more than a dollar."



"Oh, it is for a little bit more than a dollar. You know that title fight in Alantic City? They had someone fall out and they need a fill in."



"For a prelim?"



"No, for the top of the card."



My heart froze. "You ain't pickin' at me, they need someone to fight the cat from Columbia?" He was the challenger, unbeaten with a flashy record and a lot of knock out's over some Medellin cartel rejects and Juan Valdez and some of his cousins. The one time he came over in Vegas, he looked ordinary to me.



"No son, he got cut in training on Tuesday. They tried to hide it, thinking it was a scratch but turned out he needed 17 stitches. He won't make the fight."



A lump formed in my throat.



"They want an answer by noon, I was able to get that from the promoter. They have a couple of other guys on their radar, but they do want you. The amateur star cum college student in the heartland is a good sell."



"They want to give you six figures. There is a rematch clause, just in case." That is something that big timers do, like what Rocky did with Clubber Lang. A little form of 'protection', in case the unthinkable gets thought ...



... and I had started thinking it.



"What did you tell 'em?" I said, my voice with a quiver in it. After all, I had came to Kansas City on faded memories that made little sense, even after I wrote them down so I could see what I was looking at in my mind. Now this.



"I told 'em to fax the contract. Now get your butt over here so I can fax it back with you damn signature son, and we can get ready!"



I had been walking and talking during the conversation. The Metro was coming down the street. "I am getting on the bus now."



"Alright son, I will tell them you are going to take the fight, in case you don't get here before their deadline. Tell 'em you got hung up in a class and such, since that is what they want you for."



"Cool", I said, and my mind was going a hundred miles an hour, with images flashing brightly in my head. All the folks who doubted me, who couldn't see what I could see, the noise would quiet. Could not wait to tell 'Dorothy'.

Got on the bus and paid my fare, and rode off into a dream.

4 comments:

Ken Riches said...

Cool Beans. I look forward to this unfolding :o)

Beth said...

I'm with Ken...I want to hear more! Can you have a second dream about the fight?

Hugs, Beth

betty said...

what an amazing opportunity that was for you! looking forward to reading more as you share it

betty

Linda said...

I am looking forward to it also!! Linda