SETTING UP CAMP
We pulled into the Holiday Inn, adjacent to the Expo Center where the tournament was hosted. Arriving at 1 a.m., the team stumbles into their rooms, with me and Brock sharing a room, the junior fighters in another and the coaches to themselves. They'd (the coaches) would get up early for the meeting where the draws are made and pick up the credentials for all the boxers.
It wasn't until I started boxing where I understood why celebrities have the coterie of people around them. It is hard enough to have gotten all the 'little things' together to get to the tournament and perform. Showering, and walking around the hotel is about all a guy could manage, even being as 'grown' as I am.
Going down stairs to sample the continental breakie, the hotel attendant, doing the 'fetching and cleaning' in the dining room, made my heart stop. I felt my blood turn into a sludge, and my lips felt numb. It was quite a contrast, because with my IPod set on my 'ultra-violent rock and roll' playlist, my focus was on getting mentally reader for my fights. But this woman was the best looking person I had seen in years, maybe my life.
Summoning all of my 'west side cool' (which actually I had in very short supply) I walked up to her, and introduced myself to her.
"Hey there, aren't you a treat to wake up to in the morning! My name is Paul, and I am the future 154lbs. amateur champion of the United States ... Sandie." Picked that up from her name tag.
She smiled a polite, 'They only pay me enough to bring the food out', smile. "I am sure you are," without pausing to replinish the danishes. This did not bother me in the least, because this was par for the course. I took a seat near her station, and sat there most of the moring, talking with people as they passed thru to get their continental breakfasts, other fighters and coaches ... and Sandie.
I would put in plenty of time while I was in Kansas City at the dining room of the hotel. Had a good tournament, reaching the semi's. But the big win of the trip was meeting Sandie. When we checked out at the end of the week, we had actually gotten friendly and exchanged contact information.
"Now I want you to stay up with me, because I am going to come back to take you out," eyes gleaming. "All I ask is that you keep me in mind."
"Yeah, right. You are really going to come all the way back from Detroit to see me," she said a little doubtfully. "I think you read one too many romance novels."
"They write that way because somewhere, people act that way. Anywho, I will see you sooner than later." Gave her a peck on the cheek and handed her my email, home address, and phone number. Loaded up the mini van, and got in with everything that I brought to Kansas City.
Except my heart.
Friday, November 14, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
Awww. You're--I mean PAUL is such a romantic! ;)
Beth
And? And? And? Did you ever talk to her again? What's the rest of the story? Don't leave me hanging... I'm a girl who is starved for romance!
*hugs*
heather
Ah, the meeting of Pecan Sandie :o) I look forward to the rest of the story.
I'm with Ken; I'm looking forward to the rest of the story; and Sandie is Pecan Sandie?
betty
I await further word of you and Sandie. DB
Now I'm totally intrigued.
Post a Comment