Sunday, December 14, 2008

Story Board

Russ and Clarenece came in about 3 a.m., to a townhome, illuminated by a 60 watt lamp, my hand around a glass of 'verboten' Coca-cola, and Duran Duran's 'The Chauffeur' from their 'Rio' album.


"I guess that went well," he observed, the tension hanging in the air. "You alright there, man?" Russ also new that my mood was a bit 'off' from what it needs to be at this critically important time for me.


"No worries mate," I answered. "I will simply slip back into character tomorrow. The week is going to fly by, and I will be in New Jersey before you know it."

but will I be over Sandie ..?

The time did fly by. We mainly 'walked thru' stuff in the ring, both in sparring and with the punch mitts. Time to trust in the work we had put in, both as far as my stamina (would I be able to fight a brisk 10 rounds? Yes, I would!) and the fight plan, as we drilled the wrinkles over and over, and touched on the basics, including my flaws. Both Ken and Beth wanted me to watch for Jackson's sneaky lead left hook ... he had brought many a good fighter to their knees, and he would be looking to land that shot against me to be sure.

We left Thursday morning, and did all the 'official stuff', signing the contract (again, for the commission) and getting the physical done on Friday. Smiled and was appropriately humble and gracious for the press. As a champ, Felix Jackson hadn't had to be much of a trash talker ... when you could crack like he could, you didn't have to talk much smack.

Beth and Ken were more nervous than I was, Beth continously asking 'how you feeling, babe?' and Ken brought out his repitoire of corny jokes. It was a little weird, seeing them become a little unraveled as they were finally under 'the bright lights'.

Getting to bed the night before the fight, I slept good, falling into a deep and heavy sleep, as I meditated into slumber.

"I have never been more ready in my entire life, to do this right here, right now ... NEVER," was my mantra for my big moments. And when I would awake in the morning, everything that had led me to to this moment under lights of the television cameras and before anyone I ever knew ...

2 comments:

betty said...

you left us with a cliff hanger Mark; can't wait to read how it went

betty

Ken Riches said...

You have no idea of the depth of my corny joke repitoire :o)