Fighting an Okie from Muskogee in Tulsa is NO walk in the park!
But it was something that I did, risking what little credibility and reputation I had as a leading amateur boxer, to take the 'short money' as a professional, so that I could have an excuse to ride up to Kansas City to see Sandie. Same with taking a fight in Des Moines, and renting a mini-van, so I could help schlep some amateurs to fight in the Nationals in Kansas City. Whatever excuse I could find to come out to fly-over country, I took it and went out Kanas City way.
I did all that, just for a chance to see Sandie Ann. Cassandra Ann. I had to find any way possible to cut into the distance between us. My love for her was obvious from the very start. Not only was I fighting the cynicism that comes from being as love struck as I was, I also had to face facts. When I met her, she was in love with a 'Slick Willie', who made her unhappy. By the time I got to Kansas City, she had found someone else to be involved with... but I knew the risks and came to town anyway.
She kept her end of the bargain, getting me settled and organized from finding work, to getting in school. Still wasn't 'in love' with me that way, yet here she was, with the concern of someone seeing their heart off into the unknown ...
... but she still hadn't committed to me.
"This fight may be a bit too much for you, having not been preparing for him," she began. "You said it yourself about this fighter, 'You don't just wake up out of bed and want to fight Felix Jackson', did you not?" Man, why did women have to have the ability to remember EXACTLY what you said, and how you meant it? I wanted to eventually fight a top fighter, but I would have liked to have some kind of training camp for it. Three weeks is hardly a full camp ... but opportunity doesn't often come to you gift wrapped.
"Yeah well, sometimes you choose your future and other times, you future chooses you." I looked her directly in the eyes. This kind of thing has happened to me before ... if you remember? Running into the 'belle of the ball' ...," my voice trailing.
"Listen Sandie," picking my words back up, ' this time, you are a little out of your 'pay grade'. I have already told you that I love you very much, and I am the only person that I know of that would cross the country to be 'liked, very much'."
She sighed wearily. This was something she was maybe tired of, maybe scared of facing, maybe now that she was finally standing on my last nerve.
" I told you that I did like you a lot, but I just -- I just didn't see a long range future for us. We have big differences, and I don't know if I can deal with them."
Shrugged my shoulders. " Yeah, I know. I knew it from the start. Always knew it, but I still feel like I feel. But what you are talking about, you HAVE to be in love with me for it to even matter, your opinion. If you want me to not pursue a lifelong dream, you had better be prepared to replace it with another. And you aren't ready to do that, are you?"
Getting up, I motioned towards the door. "I think it is time that you left."
Internally, I was a mess. Russ had called that one, because my 'quan' was knocked off its mark. She rose slowly, gathered herself and said, "You are right Mark, I should have just wised you well and left you alone." I walked her to her car, where she kissed me on the cheek.
"Bon chance," she said as she got into her car. I stood at the curb and watched her drive into the darkness.
Saturday, December 13, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
When Mark is in his zone, there is no quarter given. He called her bluff, but that is sad in a way as well.
Aww. The parting made me sad.
I had to chuckle at how women always remember your exact words, though! It's uncanny, isn't it?
Beth
I find it interesting that she was good to her word to help you get settled in, knowing how you felt about her, and yet not wanting willing to work on the differences you two might have had with being together
betty
Post a Comment