The training routine settled in quickly, with the 'big kids', Matt and Wes being able to see that Dalton wasn't as difficult to handle, and enjoying their success as we mixed in with each other. Even though he would quit out of the frustration, Dalton was improving as well. But with his unofficial title, 'king of the gym' being taken from him, he lost his desire.
I have seen and known guy like him all my life. They grow up a little bigger and more coordinated than other boys their age ... they start tracking towards sports, and, presto! They find that they are a little special, tearing up the youth leagues and going on to high school. They make all-area, even all state, and think that the NFL and untold riches lay ahead.
As they move along this path, they seem to have forgotten that there are others, on the same road, and perhaps as skilled and quite a few with more, with the same goal. They don't take care of business in the classroom, and they forget that you have to carry your grades with you to college.
His coach tried to get him into a 4 year school, but he had to take the long road, going to Hutchinson JC. As a favor, the Kansas' coaches let him run around as a walk on, and he earned a scholarship. But he took fluff classes, even though he was just a special teamer/back up, imagined himself getting drafted. When he walked with his 'degree' in general studies, that was it for his football dreams, as he was an early cut from the Chiefs training camp.
Now, after he had 'found' a place, being a bully and exercising his fantasy of being a big timer in boxing, it was being taken away from him. Matt, the 78, was now able to tee off, and gave as good as he was getting. Wes was now really boxing, putting his speed to good use. Dalton was now back in the pack, having to claw and scratch his way with the rest of gang.
Me, I was sharpening up. The first week was crucial. I had been keeping in good shape as I was always staying ready if someone called. THIS call, was something else. I made an executive decision to drop out of school. Fighting the champion of the world was that big, no doubt, even if it wasn't for the title. Still going to be on Pay-per-view, still going to change my trajectory. I may never get a chance to reach for this ring again. So I did what I felt was the thing to do.
Tuesday, December 2, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
I liked your descriptive writing about Dalton; I thought it was well worded, Mark
betty
Hmm, chasing the dream is good, especially with some proven skill, but dropping out could haunt in the long run.
It's always bothered me the way some parents push their kids into athletics in the belief that they will make it in the pros. It's just not that simple, and for every kid with talent, there are hundreds of other kids with more talent. Sounds like Dalton learned the hard way.
B.
Beth is right. Dalton got the big come-down. But it is a pity someone wasn't around to give him the right guidance in the first place, a balance of reality. It's easy to convinve yourself that your special if no one around calls it with more common sense.
DB
This was really well written.
Post a Comment