Thursday, December 25, 2008

Story Board

This, this time it was different.

Lost in the amateurs, some important fights, too. But after losing in the U.S. Nationals, you could try for the Golden Gloves and lose there too. Not to mention getting invited to various shows and regular matches locally. There always seemed to be something else, another chance to get after it, and chase that wave.

This, was a road taken off the main drag, not a lot of traffic, and frequented by plenty of lonely stretches. I had decided not to take the highway, but to indeed take the road less traveled. Left my home, left what I knew, to take a chance at making my own way, despite the odds. And now, what had come of that choice?

The day after we got home, took a ' atta boy lap' around campus, around my usual spots, to soak up the love people had for me. My mind was wrapped in a dark clouds, as I had to endure the reminder that I almost had it ... and that I really wanted it.

"Man, you mean to tell me that you were boxing on instinct after the 5th round?" Russ asked amazed. "Because you got back up and got after him again in the 6th and he roughed you up fierce in that eighth round. For a second, it looked like the fight might have gotten stopped."

"Yeah well, if either Ken or Beth had done that, they would have had to shoot me down like a lame horse." I was back in the apartment, still trying to figure out where I was going to go with my life. School would be done for the summer, and both Russ and Clarence were going to be moving on with their lives. Time had its way of speeding up when you weren't looking, and I had to wonder if I had stumbled thru classes and still tried to fight, would it had been any different.

"Have you spoke to your girl yet?"

"Hmm?" And the thought came to play dumb, but I wasn't up to it. Besides, Russ' wit is far sharper than mine, and I didn't feel like ducking his reply. "No, Sandie hasn't called. I don't know if I expect her to."

"Listen man, you know, I am like the last person to give out advice, particularly about relationships, but this time, I am going to make an exception."

Straightening myself as I sat on the couch, ready to give my full attention, he sat on a chair in the dining area.

"Honestly, I think you need to move on. Maybe not from the 'Kansas City-Omaha Metroplex' as you say, but you need to find something other than Sandie to think about."

"Look at yourself," he continued. "You have already moved 800 miles to be in her life, and the best she has for you is a hearty handshake and some movie coupons. I don't know how you do it."

Leaning back, I sighed, "Neither do I, neither do I."

"Look, it doesn't take much to figure out that if she was going to 'be there' for you, she should have BEEN HERE. But she isn't. And she isn't going to be coming now, is she."

He had me there. He had me there indeed.

3 comments:

Beth said...

Ouch man. Sometimes it's hard to hear the harsh reality of something, even if you already know it.

Ken Riches said...

Yup, certainly looks like it is time to move on. The question, what is next?

betty said...

indeed he did have you, Mark......good to have a friend though that is honest about a situation and doesn't continue to perhaps give false hope

betty