Getting dressed in a pair shorts and my fave KMFDM tee shirt, I walked downstairs. Heading down, I considered what it was Sandie had to say, none of which was stuff Ithink I would want to hear. Not that it was a reaction to her 'tough like (as opposed to a 'tough love')' approach, but that thisclose to a fight, I kept a certain focus, trying to imagine my soul as a still lake and being at peace.
I would not play chess or video games with anyone -- any form of voluntary competition was a no-no. Did not want to risk losing, because once you lose at one thing, you become more familiar with losing in another area, and another, until you lose at something you most want to win.
Neither did I engange in conversations beyond 'yes and no'. A shrug of my shoulders was a perfectly acceptable answer to any question, and you could go on and be about yourself, if you want to be right. My mind is training for one thing, victory in the ring and not in a conversation. I would tell people who had an issue with me, that it would have to, HAVE TO wait until after a match. If it couldn't, then my answer was no, and I would put it out of my mind forever.
So what is it that Sandie had come to say, less than a week before my moment? Trading in on the lone 'pass' I had given out in my life?
Clarence was on the couch, slouched down with the remote to the TV in hand, eating chips. Russ was just around the corner, pretending to be busy, but I could catch him out of the corner of my eye, looking at 'ring center' where Sandie was standing.
"And to what do we owe the pleasure of your prescence, m'lady?" I said, with a little jump from the last step. "The heralding trumpets of your approach sounded most dire."
"Quit being a jerk. Why haven't you been at school?"
"Well dear," I began as I went to the opposite end of the couch from Clarence. "I have a fight to get ready for and this --"
"A fight? A fight? You never took this much time off from school for a fight before? You are going to waste a semseter, waste your education for a fight? All that work I did helping you to get enrolled and settled, and you are going to thank me with this?"
"Whoa, whoa! Take a break Sandie. This isn't just 'a fight'. I am not getting ready to go to Topeka or OKC, this is for a big shot in Vegas." She smacked her lips. That revelation did not move her.
"You know Mark, I thought you were growing past all this, this pro boxing stuff. You, you said yourself that you thought of it as something to do for fun --"
"--that I happen to do at a very, very high level."
"FOR FUN," and her eyes widened to emphasize her point. "You are a good writer, and the kids you work with love you to pieces." She was referring to my volunteer work at the library and a column I was writing for the student paper. "You need to be getting your education on, and stop being one of those 'all I can do is sports and sell drugs' guys. We don't need anymore of them."
"Is that what you think? You think that I am boxing because I only see sports as my 'way out? You think that is what I am about?"
"Sometimes, yes I do. And with this, this dropping out of school for a fight, what do you want me to think? You are being stupid, taking one step forward and setting youself three steps back. You may as well be hangin' on the corner of 18th and Vine, with a bottle of liquor, talking about 'what you used to be' when you had a chance to actually be something. Instead, you chased smoke, and ended up on the corner, with no future, no prospects --"
"Wait a second," I interupted. "I guess you don't know me as well as you think you do. First off, I have only been boxing for over half of my life ... and not only am I 'good', but I am accomplished. I am not some 'high school never was', but I have represented my country in international competition, and I might add, have won some tough, tough pro fights, which is why I got called for this."
"But Mark," she said sitting down between me and Clarence, looking at both he and Russ over her shoulder. Russ caught that hint.
"Larry, remember we were supposed to get with Raven and her group and ride out to Slowdive ..."
"Slowdive?!? That's all the way in Omaha --", he caught Russ pointing and Sandie, and that when he 'got it'. "Oooh yeah, the Saddle Creek show. Right. Hey Mark, Cookie (that's right Clarence ... push that button, make her even ANGRIER) you later." And they both left the apartment.
I got up, and went into the kitchen. This was going to be a conversation, that much was for sure. "Want a soda?"
"I will take a Coke."
"Good for that, it is what we have." I gave her her can and glass and sat back down with my jug o'water. "Now, where were we?"
Sunday, December 7, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
Uh oh, sounds like Mark is in for an earful. ;)
B.
How is Mark going to keep from being distracted from his focus without pissing off the Sandie ?
Sounds like Sandie needs an attitude adjustment!
*laugh*
heather
I think Sandie was just trying to make sure Mark was truly making the right decision to drop out of school
betty
Mark is certainly going to an earful isn't he!
Monica
Post a Comment