Jackson wasted no time in resuming his attack. His relentlessness was well known, and I was getting an 'up close and personal' look at it. I responded to his moving forward with a five punch salvo that stalled him, did not get him to change his direction. He replied with two sweeping hooks to the body and a clubbing right hand to the top of my head that left me a little unsteady.
I skipped back, trying to get some breathing room. Setting my feet, I ripped a straight right through his guard, and that bought me a second or two. A left uppercut with another right hand behind it made him step back. But he had started finding that he could land that overhand right, because I was making sure that he didn't hit me with his hook again. Clubbing at me behind the right hand, he moved me to the ropes, where I would do my best Ray Leonard flurry and spin out off the ropes.
But he was still stronger than me, and he seemed a bit fresher. He quickly reset and let a 1-2 fly that sent blood and sweat flying from my head. The ring was spinning slightly, so I guess I was stunned. I flurried ineffectively and pushed away from him. Jackson was raking me with shots to the head and body, and I was wondering if I was going to hold up.
Pushing me around the ring, to my corner, I could hear Beth and Ken both imploring me to do ... what? I was hands up trying to ride out yet another flurry, when Jackson stopped for a moment.
And I jumped.
A short right hand, flush in the mouth had him step back. I let my hands go from every angle, sliding as I did, so that he couldn't simply close his eyes and swing at where the punches were coming from. It was the last round, I told myself, ignoring the blood that was streaming down my face from my cut. I surged and kept punching ...
... until the burst was over. Some long hard jab, and more hooks to the body came from Jackson. I was able to block and jab back, but nothing was on my punches. He kept walking me down, banging me around, and paying no heed to my slaps. The round ended with another heavy exchange, with me getting the short end of it.
Hugs and kisses. The score, a majority decision was somewhat of a surprise, as it was a show of the competitiveness of the fight. Usually, the 'house' fighter gets every close round, but today I did get some credit for the work I did. But his big rounds, the 5th and 8th (which I had to get the notes on later), were what he needed to take the win.
After the press and the ring interviews, the long, slow, and quiet walk back to the dressing room began. Plenty of well wishers, and 'atta boys', but I was not in the mood for that.
Getting to the room, Ken and the doctor finished dressing up my cut. Answered all the questions and passed the test.
"You fought hard, son. You will be back," the doctor said. I shrugged my shoulders. He gave me a pat and left.
"Mark, you really sucked it up in there, made me proud to be in your corner," Ken said as he gathered his gear. Beth was quiet, and if I didn't know any better, she seemed like she was taking this harder than I was.
"We'll meet you out in the front of the auditorium. Take your time."
"Right ... I will make it quick." Then one of the promoter's runner's came in as well as the paymaster from the commission. Signed for my check and they told me that I can get it cashed at the hotel casino. Shook their hands and got dressed and walked out to meet up with my corner.
Tuesday, December 23, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Bummer, I was hoping for a win. Guess we can't win them all in life.
I've been enjoying the storyboard, not always commenting but lurking around.
Monica
darn, for some reason I thought there would be a win here
enjoying reading this Mark
betty
Knew there would not be a win, but so glad that you walked out with your pride, and a check. Merry Christmas to you my friend.
I don't know about that Beth, but THIS Beth is crying...even though I knew the outcome.
Hugs and kisses,
Love and rockets,
Your friend,
Beth
Post a Comment