IF IT IS TUESDAY, IT MUST BE A WORK OUT DAY
Yeah, I said that this week I would start blogging about my
fitness experience as well as offering some layman’s advice on how to get into
better condition (everyone has a shape… all you can do
is work with the one you have!), and improve their personal health and
fitness. Monday was a "run" day and it was a simple "up and down" from my apartment to Dodge Street and back. No tricks or gimmicks, which is a fitness theme with me. So I figured to wait until today before I started talking about working out.
Today was a traditional “push” day, where I train all the
big muscle groups, the chest, shoulders and legs, in that order. I do have two reasons that I train this way
and have stuck to it whenever I have lifted weights in a routine.
First, working your big muscle groups together produces more
natural testosterone. This in turn
results in your body growing stronger and bigger (more
on that topic in another entry!) faster and naturally. So definitely chest and legs go together. Secondly, I work my chest first because your
body recruits muscles from every area to lift weights, no matter where the
focus of the exercise is. You so don’t
want to pre-exhaust your chest before you begin exercising it otherwise you
risk losing form and maybe even hurting yourself.
Also, and this may be an “old weightlifters tale”, I recall
hearing that “push muscles get worked together and pull muscles get worked
together. That is because they recruit
the same muscles and if that is true, it does go with the “muscle confusion”
theory behind the P90X routines and the Cross Fit workouts that will tighten
you up depending on your goals.
This is a shot of me and a BIG GUY and his wife who is a
professional body builder. The picture
does not do justice to either of them because they both are tonight the stars
revolt tight!! The cats biceps are as
big as my head (and I know that is saying a lot!!)
and his wife looks as though she posed for Michelangelo or something!!
My routine as follows:
12, 10, 10, 8, 6 repetitions (reps)
of 195, 210(twice), 225, 240 lbs. Flat Bench
press – I have been working this set for two weeks and will likely keep it
throughout the month. I still struggle
with the last to reps of the 240, and I need to push it up smoothly before I
think about bumping the weight up any.
12,10,10 reps of 90 & 95 lbs. on the Hammer Iso-press –
I use this in lieu of a traditional incline press bench, which we do not have
at my training gym. I am also loathing combining
the weight and saying that I am working with 180 & 190lbs. on the incline. It does not matter because either way, I
should be able to move considerable weight using an incline press bench or not.
From there I go to a Flat Fly on a bench using dumbbells of
40 & 45 pounds, at the same three set repetition count. I then use a Lifefit fly machine and for
three sets, I was able to move 160 & 175lbs.
From here I go working my shoulders, hitting the heavier
weight with the Hammer Strength shoulder press and then working the shoulders
and my balance by using a bosu deck and doing shoulder presses from there. My next exercise is hitting my triceps by
doing tri-pull downs on a cable machine.
Most people work their triceps with their arms and I was among
them. But I am giving this a try to see
if I gain anywhere in my training, whether through size or improved performance. For these exercises, I go with the 12, 10, 10
@ 60, 65 lbs, and then using dumbbells for the standing bosu shoulder presses,
@ 30, 35, and 40lbs on each shoulder.
Finally, the end of the workout!! This is where I have begun to really make
gains, as for many months I was unable to use the squat rack because of my
lower back injury. It still hurts but it
no longer is at the point where it prevents me from squatting! The injury also makes me concentrate more on
my form, because I would HATE to be caught up under the weight of the bar!!
Anywho, I am squatting 4 sets at 12,10,10 and 8 with 315,
345, and 375. I am not sure if I am
going to try to get too far beyond 400lbs. on the squat… I have been using the
plated leg press for heavy weights. It
is safer for me to use and I can put more on the press machine than I want can
put on the bar to squat.
My last exercises were barbell toe raises, which work the
calves. On the Hammer Machine I would
use more weight but again, taking in account my back, I am working with normal
weight, 235 & 255lbs. Three sets at
the weights and that was that!!
Personally I think you should have a “strong” day at least
once every two weeks. Give you a chance
to gauge your progress and for me, it lets me know that I am “doing some work”!!
Anywho, the routine is decidedly “old school” as are most of
my workouts. I think your personal goals
dictate the kind of routine that you do.
I think that everyone has become used to being “entertained” by music
and getting yelled at, because it is easier for some to let objective influence
determine their workout. But if that is what it takes, then by all means invest
in a class and get your fitness on!!

2 comments:
From what I have heard, I work chest and triceps the same day, and shoulders and biceps the same day. I have tried mixing it up, and it is harder to do the "pushes".
Man. I am so not even going to tell you what i do. My trainer is really good and I get a great work out! And thanks for the running tips! I got my new sneakers and they feel great!
Post a Comment