Tuesday, October 16, 2012

GETTING AFTER IT STILL!!


RUNNING IN PLACE

One of the benefits of the new fitness crazes is the blending of weight training with low-to-moderate aerobics.  The quick pace of the movements along with the resistance from the weights really raises the heart rate and provides a great burn with regards to using fat and toning the body at the same time.

From what I can tell, if you were to follow the P90X workout plan even at a moderate, 4 day-a-week easy pace, you should see results.  I am not talking about any great lactic acid-muscle shearing burn or pain, but from steady working at the exercises and keeping pace with the video instruction.  I think that it is that good, and as with most routines, what you put into it will be what you get out of it.  What really makes P90X a winner is how it combines resistance with the aerobic component, so that way when you are losing weight, you are also gaining in physique.  Sen. Paul Ryan is STILL just a skinny ol’ dude, but when he flexes you can see a cut body, and that comes from his work with the P90X system.  That is one of the reasons that I like it so much.

But, I don’t use it OR any of the principles.  Why?  Cause I am old school!!  That is only part of it.  When the New Year gets here I do plan on condensing and combining exercises so that I am work faster and harder in a different way.  But when I first became aware of my injury, I postulated that I would need more muscle strength and increased balance.  Resistance training is one of the keys to improving both my balance and my strength.

First, resistance training does not only aid you in being stronger, but a well-rounded workout also works the support muscles that stabilize your body.  It is why your posture improves as well as your balance.  It also will allow your body to move more efficiently, making you able to move better.  And this is where running comes into play.  I am able to run as well as walk a lot better because of my exercise routine.  It was one of the first things that I resumed when I realized I would be better off on my own.

A lot of times people are not sure what constitutes an aerobic workout.  Anything that raises your heart rate over a steady and consistent period of time, counts.  From walking the three flights of stairs in your apartment building, to using the stairs at work during your lunch break, there are plenty of ways to get your aerobic workout in, without having to look like Richard Simmons.  Which brings up the second aspect of resistance/aerobic training… toning your body.

Again referring to the P90X program and its benefits, is that you won’t have the same kind of “dumpy” look once you start losing weight, or, at least you should not be discouraged because you cannot see or feel the difference.  I think that it helps inspire you as your tighten up your body and you can realistically picture the change in you, provided that you keep on going.

BUT ME… I AM OLD SCHOOL

I still like the results from the one day on-one day off method of resistance training one day and a run/cycle the next.  My preference is to be outside with the running, because I think that the fresh air is way better than being either in a gym or at home doing cardio.  Also, being out in the cold is never as bad as you might think.  40 degree and sunny is still warm enough to get out and walk somewhere for 30 minutes, and once you get started, the cold should not bother you.

Also, you do NOT have to run constantly unless you want to.  It is fine to mix in a walk break or two until you develop the stamina to run straight through.  I aim to put this into practice this Sunday when I “left foot-right foot” down to 13th and Leavenworth and back out to the Westroads Mall.  Also, next week is a weigh-in week and I will produce a photo and hopefully we all will notice a difference in my body!!

1 comment:

Mildred Joiner said...

Top Secret Make Money $300 CPA FREE
http://bit.ly/How-to-become-a-millionaire-today