Wednesday, October 6, 2010

HOME WORKOUTS

What sets these two workouts apart from what most people think of getting in shape or physical training, is that you don't need a gym and you don't need a lot of equipment to train your body and get into a healthier state of physical conditioning.

The exercise routines are challenging without being beyond the capabilities of the fitness novice.  Some of the exercises do have a certain amount of co-ordinated movements to them, which is an benefit as well, because I think that they develop athletic co-ordination.



Yeah, sure... Zusana is hot.  But it isn't simply a matter of her being attractive... not only is she 'tight' physically, I think she does a great job of breaking her workouts down so that they are easily understood and translate well to the average person.  Most of the workouts that she does are body weight exercises, and for the one exercise she does in this routine, I would suggest grabbing a duffel or book bag and loading them with a few bags of sugar, flour, or even a plastic container filled with water, for weight.  The benefits of doing body weight workouts are that the essential piece of equipment always travels with you and you really don't have a great need for a lot of space.

The intensity of her workout has the added benefit of raising her aerobic capability as well, and aerobics are still the best way to raise your metabolism.  Still, a session of exclusive aerobic training should still be a part of a fitness program.  And here is a good workout for just that.



Rope skipping alone is a good aerobic workout, if a little boring.  I don't think that knowing any tricks is necessary, but I think that if you can build up to three 3-4 minute rounds skipping rope, with a minute break in-between, that would be a good start and could supplement any walking that you do.

The rope skipping video mentions that you should skip rope when you are tired... I interpreted that to mean not 'tired' but at the end of your workout, when most, if not all, of your muscles are slightly fatigued from use.  I think the theory is that to get the most out of the skip rope, you will focus on your form and not speed.

Zusana also provides alternative movements for some of her suggested exercises.  Should you need to start out doing them, you can't forget that you do want to do the movement as a full exercise.  And with all exercises that you don't use weights with, these are routines you can do back-to-back, without necessarily taking a day off.  In fact, I would say that it is possible to fit both workouts into one session of a half-hour.  Not only that, you don't have to go to a fitness center if you are shy, and there isn't a need for a trainer to help you with your form. 

Hope that these video are helpful to you and it doesn't matter if you are a novice or a fitness 'pro', I believe that these are sessions that anyone at any level of fitness can benefit from.


4 comments:

Ken Riches said...

I have been doing twice a week real workouts, and using other activities to keep me on track while the weather has been nice. As winter sets in, it will become more regimented again.

Anonymous said...

Can I count just jogging on the beach every day? I haven't been working any other areas...I should.
This does make me think more about charging it up. ~Mary

DB said...

Oh come on, Mark, are you really expecting me to get up off my ass and try to get in shape? Isn't walking down the street good enough? One more question. If I get down on the floor to do push ups, how do I get back up again?
D

Sweden said...

i actually subscribe to zusanna, i found them when they posted videos of their travels (her and her husband) i dont watch them anymore because i dont exercise but yeah she is hoooooot