IT DOESN'T HURT TO ASK SOMEONE
But I wonder if going to a fitness center isn't a bit like high school. You have people at different levels all doing their thing. People who are new to working out are unsure of what to do, often only knowing that they should be doing something.
When I am at the gym, I don't offer people unsolicited advice. But I can't help but notice how confused many of the folks are, bipping and bopping from one piece of equipment to the other, with no rhyme or reason.
I know it can be intimidating but I ask people who are doing something I am unfamiliar with, why they are doing a movement or an exercise a certain way. If at all possible, I try to incorporate it into my workout either by adding it or taking another exercise out, if they work the same muscle, assuming the new exercise stimulates the area in a different way.
Also there are plenty of routines that you can use in magazines. I happen to like the routines in Men's/Women's Health. They seem to me to be designed to get you into better condition and not focused on being a gainer at the gym. I would (and do) pick one and once you do, STICK WITH IT. It is going to take two months of working out 3-4 times a week before you can expect to see any significant changes. But you don't have to go to the gym to get fit.
MY GIRL ZUSANA!!
I check her blog every so often but what I really like about her (other than HER!!) workouts is that there is a minimum amount of equipment used and they are short but intense. Other than the 35lbs bag, all you would need is a timer and there you go!!
She has a lot more workouts on her website, but again, I would not go for the change-up, but concentrate on one or two routines and master them. Once you get them down, then I would add another as I saw fit.
PERSONALLY, HOW AM I DOIN'..?
I think I am doing well. I have broken through a threshold on my bench press and though there is a little stiffness in my low back, I have started back with my squats. Currently I am at 305 lbs., which is light for me. But I don't want to rush to get to where I would feel 'comfortable'... another injury could be lurking around the corner.
Honestly, I was hoping to be comfortable enough to take a picture of what I actually look like... but I still feel a little flabby. Coming along but not there yet. Maybe in a few weeks. Should have did a 'before' picture but whatever.
Tuesday, August 31, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I have gotten back into my routine a bit, getting at least two weight workouts in a week in addition to the yard work.
Let me know what you plans are, I would love to find a way to hook up again in Nov/Dec.
Post a Comment