Sunday, November 7, 2010

AND IT HAS BEEN ABOUT AS LONG TIME SO LET'S...

RESUME CONDITIONING

With the Missouri running right by, I am guessing Omaha is built on the lee side of a valley, accounting for all the hills, particularly going to the west.  I have ran exactly once in the month that I have been here... today will mark the second time I've run anywhere in town.

The hill look worse than they actually ride when I am biking, even the steeper hills.  I think that is because the town is paved pretty well, sidewalks, streets, parks... and the parks are everywhere!!  You can take your pick from all the beautiful places to run.  Memorial Park in particular has caught my eye and even though I will have to travel to it, I will be putting it, and the paths along the river and its tributaries.

The lady who operates the Anytime Fitness franchise nearest me is a former body builder.  She is recovering from a serious shoulder operation, but you could never tell if she didn't!!  I hope that she does well, as she only recently opened.  It is in the 'Old Town' district and that location is one of the best locales of the several franchises that I used in Va. and in the Metro.



Live Well Omaha is a group of organizations who have banded together to inspire the locals to take better care of themselves by becoming more active.  Since all I have done is come to take advantage of all the great changes that has taken place since the movement began, I cannot comment on what it was like before I got here.  But I have seen a runner or two each day, and that includes the occasional cat running through my neighborhood!  I think there are a lot of people who have taken things to heart and are getting up and moving out, all in an effort to keep themselves healthy.

Once I become more familiar with town, I will start mapping my running paths on the Map My Run website.  I am going to make more use of the internet as not only a resource but to share my training program.  Another You Tube tool is the 'Passion For Fitness' videos.  I think that the people behind the videos do an excellent job pacing you by following along with the animation, from doing the exercise to the recovery time between sets.

Well, time for me to get up and get after it!  Hope that you are going to do the same!!

3 comments:

Ken Riches said...

I am not getting my morning workouts in, but I have been good about getting weekend workouts in. Heading to the garage now.

ABIGAIL NY said...

Love how people are taking the initiative to become more into fitness, now I'm not the most fit person even thought when you look at me it looks like I am but I haven't exercised for as long as I can remember, well apart from when I was on the soccer and basketball team in high school.

But it's great that people care about things like that! And are doing something about it, instead of just talk.

http://themessenger-bag.blogspot.com

Reggie said...

What an incredible body she has!!!