Thursday, August 5, 2010

JUST SOME STUFF

HOME WORKOUTS

For the past two weeks I have not been going to the gym. I will start back with a workout on Monday.

Not going to the gym does not mean that I have not been doing any exercises. I have been doing a variety of push-ups and crunches to keep myself in the mindset of working out.

There are a lot of different things that you can do at home, with inexpensive equipment. The idea that you need to go to a gym to start working out is one that I think puts most people off. To be certain, there are some things that you absolutely need a fitness center for. But even that is dependent on your own personal needs and wants.

For instance, the microgyms, like 24-Hr Fitness, Anytime Fitness, Curves, lack many of the extras that you will be able to find at the larger national brands or local fitness centers. While certain machines that are not available at the smaller places can be worked around, the 'wet area', the pools, sauna, and steam rooms are amenities that for some people, are critical.

For instance, I a recent comment that was left here asked what would I recommend for someone who dealt with arthritis and wanted to work out. At first I was at a loss, because as someone who deals with gout, I know the kind of pain that someone who deals with arthritis is up against. And I also know that when I am dealing with an attack, all I want is for the pain to stop.

Anywho, I started to think about the kinds of activities that someone who deals with arthritic pain can do on a consistent basis, that will help offset some of the effects of arthritis. Finally, it hit me and that is why I mentioned the difference between larger fitness centers and the microgyms.

Water exercises are an effective way to strengthening bones and muscle for anyone, let alone arthritis sufferers. There are weights designed for use in the pool and plenty of exercises that can be done in the water that will allow for a workout far less pain from the strain of bearing weight. A pool workout would also give a full range of motion to any exercise done in the pool.

Also, the buoyancy factor also allows for a better aerobic environment for arthritis suffers and would be another plus to working out at the larger fitness centers.

If the cost is prohibitive, I would suggest that if there is a local YMCA, that you try for membership there. They should have a program for low income members and they have the nearly all the workout equipment that the big fitness centers have as well as the access to a wet area. So there you go! There are not many excuses left, so time to get to work!!

2 comments:

Ken Riches said...

I find my workouts decline in the summer, and intensify in the winter. Lots of outdoor activities keep things even :o)

Anonymous said...

I swim in the pool & walk on the beach all the time. I don't do "organized" in the summer very well.
~Mary