Tuesday, November 24, 2009

WATCH ME WORK!!

CONDITIONING TO GET INTO CONDITION!!

While I do recommend the micro gym fitness centers, there are some things that I actually miss about the bigger fitness centers.

Bally's had the typical culture that you'd expect, but there were many folks who not only knew how to work out but were willing to help you out. They were approachable and had the information and technique to help a brother out. While I do know some stuff, whenever I am the 'smartest guy in the room', then you may have a problem!

Any work you put into your conditioning, if you stay focused and committed to what you do, you can expect results PROVIDING that you put in the time and effort.

The show 'The Biggest Loser' notwithstanding, typical weight loss of 2% of your body weight per week is a good accomplishment. 3-4 days of weight training along with 3-4 days of steady aerobics of at least 30 minutes.

HEAVY DAY

The training where I do barbell bench presses and leg squats are days that I try to work more weight on those exercises than on the other day I work chest and legs. What and how I work on that day I will detail when that day comes!!

My work goes like this:

4 sets @ 135, 155, 155, 185lbs. X 12, 10, 10, 8 repetitions (reps) on the bench press
4 sets @ 50,55,55,60lbs. X 12,10,10, 8 dumbbell incline press
3 sets @ 45, 50, 55lbs. X 12, 10, 8 seated curls
4 sets@ 45,55, 60lbs. X 12,10,10, 8 cable tri pull downs
4 sets @ 45, 55, 65lbs. X 12, 10,10, 8 seated cable rows
4 sets @ 30,35,40lbs. X 12, 10, 10, 8 dumbbell shoulder press
3 sets @ 50,60,70lbs. X 12, 10, 8 dumbbell shrugs
4 sets @ 185, 205, 225 lbs. X 12, 10, 10, 8 squats

With these exercises I am trying to think 'get strong'. The bench press and barbell squats are where you put your money where your mouth is. For sure, any aerobic activity scheduled would HAVE to come after this kind of workout. The reason being that you don't want to risk oxygen depletion with those exercises.

Also, you get a full range of work for your body with this kind of routine. Keep in mind that this is only ONE DAY. Similar to Rome, you aren't going to work every single muscle group in a day. I think that is another intimidating factor in trying to establish a training routine. No matter what machines or exercises you see others doing.

Myself, I am looking at 12 sessions with this routine. I may tweak and exercise or two, but for the most part I am looking at 3 months of days like this!!

1 comment:

Ken Riches said...

My routine is chest one day, shoulders the next, and then arms. On chest day I will do some legs, but they are not a problem nor a focus, especially with all the treadmill and elliptical. I wish I had more time for the weights, but typically only get 6-9 sets in per morning. This morning was day twelve. Tomorrow morning is chest, it is my favorite :o)