Tuesday, October 20, 2009

WORK OUT PARTNER

NOTHING REGULAR ... YET!

It is different having someone that looks forward to doing something about their fitness. Because I am not settled (that is for my other journal) enough to establish a routine, I don't have a program just yet.

But, me and the SFC have been out walking pretty much every other day. We do 4 miles, and we jog some as we walk. The other day, this lady pulled out ahead of us about 1/4 mile. She looked to be about in her 50's and was a tall drink of water. My girl is 5'7 ... and I figured she would step out and hit a 'quick time march' ...

One of the reasons that I don't like running in the park with all the other joggers is the competition switch that comes on and I find distracting. It takes away from achieving my own goals and I never think that it is effective, discovering how much slower I am than some one who was much older than me.

When that lady pulled out ahead of us, even though we had already been pickin' 'em up and puttin' 'em down for at least two miles, I wanted to catch and pass her.

"Hunnie are we supposed to catch that lady? I have noticed that our pace have picked up," the SFC said slightly gasping. I couldn't help it. I wasn't totally aware that I had picked up my step.

Sheepishly, I said, "Yeah". She decided to let me go and catch up with me when she caught her breath.

AND I HAD TO STEP IT OUT, TOO!!

I have one of those little backpacks and my keys dangle on a carbiner, so I am sure that the lady heard me coming. She did NOT slow down a smidge. She picked up her pace as well. The dilemma I had was this: If I wanted to, I could have started a little jog and pass her. But that would have been cheating, as she was only walking. That meant I had to find a way to 'walk her down' without getting into a run.

This took me every bit of a mile, if not a little more. She was moving the heck out!! Then, what happened when I passed her was funny in a way too. I mean, I had walked her down for over a mile ... I couldn't simply slow down and let her get back ahead of me. I had to 'keep the pace!'

By now, the SFC was right next to me. It was okay for her to jog, because I was the one 'in the race' with the lady. She also told me I couldn't slow down after passing her.

We went to the PX and got some weights, a pair of 40 lbs. for me and a pair of 8 lbs. dumbell, and a stability ball. It came with a poster of exercises. I know a few more we can do along with the suggested work out. But the big thing is that they are more than enough to start off with.

Our ball is a Reebok ball. We also have a resistance band and they come in different levels of resistance. The one that I have is supposed to be the highest level offered and will mix well with the dumbells we have. The goal is to get a set of 15 and 25 lbs. to go with what we have.

There is an Anytime Fitness near the place and I aim to get a membership. There is only so much you can do at home, depending on your goals. If you want to get in better shape, the equipment that I mentioned and a will to work is all you need. But if you have some higher goals, then at some point you are going to need to go to a fitness center and do some work there.

Next month, I should be in the gym and doing that thing that I do!! As far as keeping track of weight, my girl doesn't have one ... but I like knowing where I am at. I am going to put my measurements up and see where I end up after the new year.

Right now, the priority is to get a home work out routine going. Let you know how that goes as it goes!!

3 comments:

Ken Riches said...

I have been struggling with the home workouts, getting up at five for work and not getting home until 5 or 6 makes a long day. However, I do walk at least two miles each day at work, and at least twice get over for a 20-30 minute weight workout. Enough to maintain, but not enough to get ahead. May this winter when I cannot do any yardwork.

Glad you have a workout buddy :o)

Beth said...

I cracked up over you having to pass that lady. LOL Once a competitor, always a competitor! (And I mean that in a good way.) Hugs, Beth

Lori said...

I've been trying to walk more, and if my daughter had her way I'd be walking several times every day with her as my companion. I had to laugh at you struggling to overtake the older lady without breaking into a jog. Keep up the good work!