BACK ON THE ROAD
Somewhere between my lows in the 220's and today, I have gained some weight!! Between my fall and the break that I took when the SFC came to town and today, I found somewhere between ten to twelve pounds and put them on!!
I got on a scale today and it said 234 ... could have been lighter or heavier, because I question the accuracy of the scale. I will see if it zeroes out later. Yesterday I ran and did not eat any candy or drink any soda. In fact, it was hearing a story about how many pounds of chocolate the average American consumes a year that got me motivated.
My Butterfinger fetish has been documented and it has be going strong. Now, I think the story said that the average American eats in the neighborhood of 85 pounds of chocolate ... and at first that sounds a bit much. That is because you can't imagine ever sitting and eating hunks of chocolate. At least I couldn't. And even though I eat a lot, since I consider myself doing it in dribs and drabs, I don't 'see' me eating 85 pounds of the stuff.
Then, I looked at my Butterfinger wrapper. It read 2 oz. or so. And while it isn't all chocolate, eating four or five a day, over a week, it wouldn't have to be!!
The same for two liter soda pop. While I drink a lot of water, I match that with the soda pop. For instance, after I run, I will drink 32 0z. of water and then sip during the day. But at night I am often sitting next to a two liter or Coke or Detroit's own, Faygo. That isn't right!! I can't possible think I am going to be able to burn off all that crap!!
So I have begun to limit myself, starting Monday. I have said that I can drink four sodas in the half liter bottles a week and six Butter fingers. Of course the goal is the complete overhaul of my diet. Yet one of the things that throw off non-obese dieters is trying to deny yourself something completely. If I tell myself, "go three days without any junk, then you can have a piece of something", makes sense to me. Then more than likely when that special day comes, I will be able to 'eat like a normal person', instead of binging out. Oh, and all of that is predicated on me doing the work FIRST and not promising to do the work after I treat myself.
The fall is motivating in another way as well. I think that I had a slight shoulder seperation. Not enough to go into a sling ... maybe like a hyper extension. Thing is, I have done NOTHING to rehab it. It has been sore in a nagging way ever since.
When you walk around with physical aches and pains, they do the opposite of what the emotion pain does. Meaning that because you are physically under duress or uncomfortable, it affects your mental state. That is one of my goals in commiting to physical exercise. It has less to do with the actual shaping of my body as it does the benefit of my physical health. If you do the one, the other will come. Worrying about looking a certain way, tends to obscure the goal of physical fitness. I think physical fitness is aligned with mental fitness. You don't have to be an Einstein to be mentally fit and you don't have to have a body Taye Diggs or looks like Jude Law. And you don't have to try to be like Jessica Alba or get tight like a Gabrielle Union to like your body.
I know it is that way for me. Whenever I have personal issues to deal with, I go back to how 'strong' I am physically. When ever there are physical issues at hand, I know that I am smart enough to figure things out. I think that there is a by play there that circumvents the insecurity that comes with being caught up with how you look. At some point, you need to become comfortable in your own skin.
That is a mental thing that is fed by the physical action you take. Having run, did some exercises and ate a decent breakie, I feel good about me. Period.
Anywho, I will start making entries about what I am doing and chart how much I am either losing weight or not. From equipment to diet, I will be sharing that here, and some random stuff that just jumps into my mind!
Tuesday, September 15, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Switch to diet pop. Once you get used to it, it doesn't have that "diet" taste. I've gotten so I can't drink pop with sugar in it...it tastes like syrup to me! And yes, I'm guessing those Butterfingers add up! ;)
I'm confident that you'll adjust and make the changes you need to make. Hugs, Beth
I agree with the diet soda thing, and I say cut back to one BF a week, it will be all the sweeter. Maybe a Sunday treat.
I don't know anything about soda pop and butterfingers but feeling good about yourself is worth all the effort.
D
Post a Comment