Wednesday, June 29, 2011

COMPETE WITH YOURSELF

INTENSITY V. REGULARITY


I couch my routine with  the words 'small success' much for the same reason that I like Zusanna's workouts, because she takes exercises that pretty much uses no equipment and quantifies the repetitions in such a way that increased reps should coincide with better fitness.  And when looking at her it is difficult to argue with the results! 


Also, I like to think that incremental growth augurs improved health and makes it easier to envision reaching fitness and health goals.  Once a person marries their willingness to improve on their workout measurables and consistent improvement to reaching their targets, that is when they will find themselves being able to run 5-k's and half-marathons, competing in local bike rides, not to mention being able to look good in a pair of jeans!


In the June 9th USA TODAY there was a short article about how intense exercise can protect an aging brain.  That along with the true benefits of light exercise v. moderately intense (which passes the same benefits as intense exercise) are another reason why it is more important that you  measure your workouts against your own previous workouts.  I think that when people say they are intimidated by going into a gym, the reason is that they may feel that way is because they look more at the 'trees', the other people at the gym' than keeping their 'eyes on the road' and being concerned with their own well being.  Sure, others may be working out at a level that you hope to achieve, but it is more important that you are constantly increasing your own workload.  The main thing should be the main thing, and that is being a healthier you.


NOW, WHEN IT COMES TO THE LIGHT TO MODERATE FITNESS


Even though the research says one thing, I am still one who believes that being active, even if it is walking 45 - 60 minutes every other day.  I think that one of the more obvious things that it overlooks is the effect that even a moderate routine has on the mental outlook of people.  Not everyone can be like Jack LaLanne (who like Zusanna, used very little equipment to achieve his conditioning) but it doesn't mean that a someone can't be a better and fitter person.  A saying that I swore by that was given to me by a boxing trainer, 'the body is a slave to the mind'.  That is why I think you see people who do the small things from walking regularly to sitting in the park on sunny days and socializing, maintaining a high level of mental acuity and relatively good health.


At any rate, do something, and what ever you do, do it regularly!  

2 comments:

Ken Riches said...

I have gotten back into the routine in the past few weeks, feels great.

DB said...

While looking good in a pair of jeans has long ago fallen to a lower place on my personal agenda, I do anjoy the walks that I take partly because they are difficult and therefore challenging.

"The body is a slave to the mind" and so is pain.

D