THIS, I BELIEVE
I am not sure if I mentioned this before, but what I am sharing here is a general workout to stregnthen the body in a balanced fashion. No hurry and not trying to impress anyone with it. But if you want to look nice for the summer, then I think this will go a long way in helping you get there!
NUMBERS GAME
The other day a lady in the fitness center asked me how can she get the back of her arms (the tricep area, boys and girls!!) tightened up. It was a little odd because she had came off the tricep press machine, so I am thinking that she knew.
That meant to me, that she wasn't seeing the result from her work on the machine. When you have access to the equipment, then you have to establish what is the one rep max for an exercise. Once you figure that out, you should expect to be able to do a minimum of 3 sets of 10 of 60% of that exercise(80% is for limited rep&sets size building workouts).
Once you are able to finish three sets of that particular exercise, you can add weight. Also, you can add reps to each set, with 15 being the max.
I think that some of what I have in my 'training guidelines' have been superceded. For instance, working out with low weights but in high reps and sets, you will build more muscle but not so much the 'power' to move heavy weight. I do remember hearing something to contradict or that made that thinking outdated, which is why I need a class!!
Also there are a lot more new training tools that don't utilize heavy weights that also gets results. But the problem I have with some of the alternative techniques is that without a partner, they don't work so good. Then there is the 'feel' and the burn that they leave you with.
The pump that I have in my arms or chest from moving weight is a clear sign of my workout actually working. But if the other techniques is what motivates you, then you have to develop a workout plan and stick to it.
FOR INSTANCE
On the day that I am working my arms, I also do lat pulldowns, seated cable rows and my shoulderer shrugs.
Regarding the lat pull downs, there are two machines to choose from at my gym and I would expect most any gym. With the Life Fit machine, I am working with 140 lbs. On the cable weight machine, I am at 100 lbs. There is a difference and I alternate which machine I uses during each session.
For me, the goal of these single movement exercises is to provide balance to my body. It also helps stabilize a person as well. That is something that I feel helps me a lot with my issues. I have come a long way since I used to have lil' Mook telling me to be careful whenever I would walk out the door! Not to say there aren't moments, but that is all they are, and they are few and far between.
Next: Aerobics ... when and why!
Tuesday, December 15, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I definitely want to look better for summer. Thanks for sharing !
I can't stand weight training. And it is essential that I work out my upper body to keep my TMJ from flaring up.
So I am just doing yoga for now. I find myself in pushup position and downward dog a lot.
I use 6-12, 3 set minimum routine for chest, shoulders, and arms - I am intrigued about the higher reps building more muscle. I am interested in building muscle, but thought you needed to increase weight to do it. I would appreciate any advice.
That Google Friend Connect won't allow me to Follow. Grrr...
Happy New Year!
XX
Post a Comment