Friday, January 2, 2009

Story Board

The conversation was brief and to the point. I told her I was in my car, an 1988 pearl gold Nizzan 300zx (which was the only vanity item I would ever admit to) and I was driving around to ... did I want to tell her what I was now thinking? With the gym essentially being closed, because while someone else would come in to run it, I didn't see myself being able to work here without Ken and Beth.

Could imagine myself continuing on somewhere, though. I flipped open my cell phone and rang Sandie. She picked up after a few rings, and thanks to caller ID, she knew who it was, and spoke to me straight away.

"We haven't really spoken since you have been back. I know that the last time we spoke a few weeks (bit my tongue ... if I said 'a few months', may have started something) ago, we ended badly. I wanted to catch up, and see if you were alright."

Pieces of a dream. Broken at my feet. And she was one of those pieces.

I had known all along, that she had someone else in her heart, but that cat was 'away from her', and though he was long distance, I respected that. It was more of respecting myself, because I thought that since I was willing to change my life to take a shot at being with her, that would tilt the scale in my favour.

My second year in town, I began to deal, and tried to make my life in the Kansas City-Omaha metroplex around my attraction to her. Stopped telling myself that I was here because of her, stopped wanting to be 'that guy' in her life. But an odd thing seemed to happen on my way to the forum ... the 'less' I made things about her, the 'more' she seemed to show up.

"Not going to lie to you, I have been better. On my way to the Outback off I-35, to drown my sorrows in a 'chocolate thunder from down under' (which, is the treat for this weekend ... FOR REAL!), and watch sports from the bar. Ken and Beth are going to be headed to Indiana, and I need to figure what to do with myself."

"Want me to swing by and pick you up? We can have dinner and talk things out ... put things out on front."

"Like what," I thought to myself. "I mean, by moving from Detroit to here, I would have thought everything I had told her WAS out on front."

"Actually I am driving today Sandie. My bike needed to get a 'tune up'." Normally I would have been on my bike, but it was 'tired' and was getting a once over. "How about we meet there."

"Alright, sounds good. See you there in an hour."

"I will be at the bar." And I was.

4 comments:

betty said...

was she at the bar though??

I like these words:Pieces of a dream. Broken at my feet. And she was one of those pieces.

enjoy your weekend Mark; and the chocolate down under

betty

Ken Riches said...

Chocolate Thunder sounds interesting, and I love Outback. Good steak and ale so to speak.

Interesting to see what comes of the getting things out front.

Beth said...

Very courageous to call and talk, and try to make amends!

DB said...

looking forward to a good "scene" at the bar....